NOTICE: THIS UPDATE FROM MICROSOFT WILL HELP YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE RUNNING A PROPERLY LICENSED, GENUINE COPY OF WINDOWS XP. SOME UPDATES AND OFFERS FROM MICROSOFT REQUIRE A GENUINE COPY OF WINDOWS XP.
INSTALLING THIS UPDATE IS OPTIONAL. THE UPDATE WILL BECOME A PERMANENT PART OF YOUR WINDOWS XP SOFTWARE. AFTER INSTALLATION, FUTURE UPDATES TO THIS SUPPLEMENT WILL DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ACCORDING TO YOUR AUTOMATIC UPDATES SETTINGS.
DURING OR AFTER A VALIDATION CHECK, INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR SYSTEM (FOR EXAMPLE, YOUR WINDOWS PRODUCT KEY AND IP ADDRESS) WILL BE PERIODICALLY SENT TO MICROSOFT. MICROSOFT WILL NOT USE THE INFORMATION TO IDENTIFY OR CONTACT YOU.
BEFORE INSTALLING, PLEASE READ AND ACCEPT THE LICENSE TERMS BELOW.
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE SUPPLEMENTAL LICENSE TERMS
MICROSOFT WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE NOTIFICATIONS FOR MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP
Microsoft Corporation (or based on where you live, one of its affiliates) licenses this supplement to you. The following license terms describe additional use terms for this supplement. These terms and the license terms for the software (Microsoft Windows XP) in your Windows XP End User License Agreement apply to your use of this supplement. If there is a conflict, these supplemental license terms apply.
BY USING THIS SUPPLEMENT, YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THEM, DO NOT USE THIS SUPPLEMENT.
If you comply with these license terms, you have the rights below.
1. Application of Terms. The terms also apply to any Microsoft updates, supplements, Internet-based services, and support services for the software, unless other terms accompany those items. If so, those terms apply.
2. PURPOSE OF SUPPLEMENT. THIS SUPPLEMENT UPDATES WINDOWS XP AND IS DESIGNED TO NOTIFY YOU IF YOU ARE USING AN IMPROPERLY LICENSED COPY OF WINDOWS XP. TO EFFECTIVELY ENCOURAGE THE USE OF PROPERLY LICENSED SOFTWARE, THIS SUPPLEMENT CANNOT BE UNINSTALLED.
3. Validation and Notification. This supplement may check periodically whether a properly licensed copy of Microsoft Windows XP (“Windows XP”) is installed. Validation may be required for certain Microsoft software to be downloaded, installed or used. If you have a properly licensed copy of Windows XP installed, you receive special benefits, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39157. If this supplement detects that a properly licensed copy of the software is not installed, you will receive a notification and periodic reminders to install a properly licensed copy of Windows XP. To enable the validation checks, this supplement may from time to time require updates or additional downloads of its validation or licensing functions. The updates or downloads are required for the proper functioning of this supplement and may be downloaded and installed without further notice to you. These updates and downloads may be delivered to you through the Windows Update service (if you use the service) or through other means. During or after a validation check, this supplement may send information about Windows XP, the device and the results of the validation check to Microsoft. This information includes, for example, the Windows XP version and product key, any unauthorized changes made to the validation, licensing or activation functions of Windows XP or this supplement, any related malicious or unauthorized software found and the Internet protocol address of the device. Microsoft does not use the information to identify or contact you. By using this supplement, you consent to the transmission of this information. For more information about validation and what is sent during or after a validation check, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkid=96551.
This supplement may also notify you if a more recent Windows service pack for the software is available.
4. Internet-Based Services. Microsoft provides Internet-based services with this supplement. It may change or cancel them at any time. This supplement connects to Microsoft or service provider computer systems over the Internet as described below. In some cases, you will not receive a separate notice when it connects. For more information about this feature, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=68985.
5. Computer Information. This supplement uses Internet protocols to send to Microsoft computer information, such as your Windows XP product key, hard drive serial number, PC manufacturer, operating system version, Windows XP product ID, PC BIOS information, user locale setting, language version of Windows XP, validation result and whether the installation of this supplement was successful. Certain information derived from your IP address, which cannot be used to identify you, is retained in association with this computer information.
6. Use of Information. We may use the computer information to improve our software and services, help prevent improperly licensed use of the software, and develop aggregate statistics. We may also share the aggregate data with others, such as hardware and software vendors and volume licensees to help protect their license keys.
7. CONSENT FOR INTERNET-BASED SERVICES. BY USING THIS FEATURE, YOU CONSENT TO THE TRANSMISSION AND USE OF THE ABOVE COMPUTER INFORMATION. MICROSOFT DOES NOT USE THE INFORMATION TO IDENTIFY OR CONTACT YOU.
8. Privacy Notice: For additional Information about the computer information transmitted to Microsoft, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=68985.
9. Support Services for Supplement and Software. Microsoft provides support services for this supplement and the software as described at www.support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
10. Applicable Law. If you acquired this supplement in the