Thursday, June 07, 2007

evolution: topic of GOP debate












believe it or not, there are people running for the highest office of this country that don't believe in mankind's second most successful scientific theory:

from the recent GOP debate:

...The issue of evolution once again surfaced when Huckabee was asked if he believes the biblical "story of creation." During the last debate, Huckabee, Brownback and U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo all raised their hands, signifying they didn't believe in evolutionary theory. During the third debate, Huckabee at first said the question was unfair, because if elected president he wouldn't be writing science curriculum.


"But you’ve raised the question, so let me answer it. 'In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth.' To me it’s pretty simple -- a person either believes that God created this process or believes that it was an accident and that it just happened all on its own," Huckabee said. "... I believe there is a God who was active in the creation process. Now, how did He do it, and when did He do it, and how long did He take? I don’t honestly know, and I don’t think knowing that would make me a better or a worse president.

"... [I]f I’m selected as president of this country, [Americans will] have one who believes in those words that God did create. And as the words of Martin Luther, 'Here I stand. I can do no other.' And I will not take that back."

Following a follow-up question, Huckabee said, "... if anybody wants to believe that they are the descendants of a primate, they are certainly welcome to."

Brownback gave his thoughts on man's origins by citing the 11th-century Archbishop of Canterbury Anselm's famous phrase, "faith seeking reason." The debate was held at Saint Anselm College.

"One of the problems we have with our society today is that we put faith and science at odds with each other," Brownback said. "They aren’t at odds with each other. If they are, check your faith or check your science."

McCain, who during the last debate said he believed God guided evolution, said the teaching of creationism in schools is "up to the school districts."

"But I think that every American should be exposed to all theories," he said. "But I can’t say it more eloquently than Pastor Huckabee -- Gov. Huckabee just did, and I admire his description, because I hold that view. The point is that [during] the time before time, there’s no doubt in my mind that the hand of God was in what we are today."

...i don't know what the democrats are doing, but i only hope they are plotting some way in which they can somehow force these idiots to watch the southpark double episode on the teaching of evolution. this is a one of their very best, a veritable tour-de-force, with richard dawkins getting off with the 'evolution is nonsense' sex-change teacher, who is shown being given it to from behind from dawkins, screaming "yeah, baby, pound my monkey butt-hole!"



No comments: